Xterra the Next Generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Xterra the Next Generation

TheNewX.org Backup Forum for 05+ Xterra owners

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shackles or AALs?

Go down 
+5
ChrisTerra
usmcxterra
norshor
mcampana
rs182
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
usmcxterra

usmcxterra

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Shackles or AALs? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shackles or AALs?   Shackles or AALs? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2007 6:12 pm

Muzikman is giving out some solid advice here, I'd stick with that. Dragonplayboy tried something similar to what you are and I don't think he had fun. As Muzikman points out, you still have to worry about the inner rear, and, I'd say the spacers won't alleviate that much. Plus, if and when you do get it all set up, we are talking bye bye front diff. It won't handle the weight. It will look cool though. Not something I'd try as I don't think the Bennie's are there for the trouble. I think I am trying to stop a train here. But have fun. MC
Back to top Go down
mcampana

mcampana

Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Re: Shackles or AALs?   Shackles or AALs? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2007 6:31 pm

Nope.....Muzikman. I dont drive like an old lady, no noise.
Back to top Go down
rs182

rs182

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: Shackles or AALs?   Shackles or AALs? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2007 7:56 pm

I think the weakness of the front diff is over stated. The only time the weight of the tires matters is if they are spinning really fast and then slam down to a halt. Of course mileage will suffer, especially until gears are installed. I'm not worried about the front end, I'm careful when I wheel and prefer slow rockcrawling and hill climbing to high speed, full throttle runs up snowy hills.
I think its time someone really did this and put all speculations to rest. As always, I'll keep everyone updated.
And once again about the fitment of tires in the rear: If Pony can fit 37x14.5 tires in the rear of his, 35x12's will easily fit in the rear of mine, I've already mocked it up and measured, it works.
Thank you though for your advice guys, I respect it and definitely take it into consideration. If you see any other problems I may run into don't hesitate to share them with me.
Back to top Go down
rs182

rs182

PostSubject: Re: Shackles or AALs?   Shackles or AALs? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2007 10:58 pm

Will 4 degree shims be sufficient for the AC AALs?
Back to top Go down
S_e_X-Terra

S_e_X-Terra

Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: Shackles or AALs?   Shackles or AALs? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2007 11:02 pm

rs182 wrote:
Will 4 degree shims be sufficient for the AC AALs?

I think that i remember people saying that they got 3 degree shims... not positive though
Back to top Go down
rs182

rs182

PostSubject: Re: Shackles or AALs?   Shackles or AALs? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2007 11:16 pm

Yea I remember that too. As long as 4* shims won't hurt anything I'm gonna go with those.
Back to top Go down
usmcxterra

usmcxterra

Number of posts : 88

PostSubject: Re: Shackles or AALs?   Shackles or AALs? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2007 6:06 am

Well, there comes a point where too much shim will start to tip it back the wrong way. If you can get shims locally, that might be better, Our shop offered trade and money back. MC
Back to top Go down
buxwheat

buxwheat

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Shackles or AALs?   Shackles or AALs? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2007 9:30 am

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread here.

MC: How is the custom spring pack project going? (Before people order AAL, etc.)
Back to top Go down
rs182

rs182

PostSubject: Re: Shackles or AALs?   Shackles or AALs? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2007 10:26 am

usmcxterra wrote:
Well, there comes a point where too much shim will start to tip it back the wrong way. If you can get shims locally, that might be better, Our shop offered trade and money back. MC
Thanks MC. I have a driveline angle tool, I think I may just install the AAL's and use the tool to compare the lifted pinion angle to the factory angle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shackles or AALs?   Shackles or AALs? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Shackles or AALs?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Xterra the Next Generation :: Specific Topics :: Suspension tire and wheel-
Jump to: