Xterra the Next Generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Xterra the Next Generation

TheNewX.org Backup Forum for 05+ Xterra owners

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lifting Cheap and smart.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
usmcxterra

usmcxterra

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Lifting Cheap and smart. Empty
PostSubject: Lifting Cheap and smart.   Lifting Cheap and smart. EmptySun Apr 01, 2007 11:46 am

Yes indeed people, the beauty of this set up is you retain all factory parts, shackles, Overload leaf, ABS line length, (May need MC ABS line extender MOD with the longer shocks option) And Brake line length should be fine but each vehicle should be checked as may differ.

We did it! Thanks Warren SPRING!

Well Thanks to MCampanna for financing the experiment! (And he came up with the idea of retaining the overload spring, PRG said it can't /should not be done.... and he refused to give us any support, he sells the Mine deaver pack but he will short you the U Bolts (You need) and the Shim (He says you don't need buy look at the pictures of pinion angle you do!)
Be fore warned, Install everything tighten the U bolts to 62 Ft Lbs, Cut no center or U bolts, Take it for a ride, check for vibration for 2 days. Then, Torque to 90 Ft Lbs on U bolts, then cut, then retorque again in 200 miles or next 2 days.
Ok if you have followed along we liked the ride of the mini pack. And the no new shackle idea. So He bought them and was told no shims needed. Well, after we installed it, As you can see, Shims were needed.
It's kind of hard to tell in a pic but easy to tell in person. You want to look at the Black rubber part and how close it is to the top like it is kinked.
The angle the Rear has on the drive shaft.
Before:
Lifting Cheap and smart. IMG_4067
Now AFTER notice the way the rear looks like it can shoot a bullet right into the drive shaft and how that black rubber parts has come down in line.
Lifting Cheap and smart. IMG_4086
It's only 3 degrees but a good eye can pick it up. But more importantly a short test drive and 35 to 40 MPH NO more vibration! Yippeeeeee!
Man Thanks to Mike At Warren Spring he stuck with us to the end to fix our problem! That place is great!
Here is what it involved to fix, Now mind you had we had the shims to begin with, we would have saved a lot of money and labor! LOTS!

1st We had to realize this is not how it has to be, Vibrating! Come to the realization we just got suckered into installing a AAL with no shims. OK, So I run down to Warren Spring with my computer and pictures of what we ended up with. Warren Spring was sick, They felt bad we had to do it over but gave us good instruction on what to do and a deal on the parts.

To fix the problem you need New U bolts, New Center Pins, New Center Pin Spacers, and the Shims, 3 degrees was what he suggested. Away we went. Here is what a shim looks like, Not much but about $24 a set of 2.
Lifting Cheap and smart. IMG_4074
Pictured here is a New center pin with two spacers on the top of the pin. Now, this pin goes down through the springs but if you are using a shim you need to add spacers to allow the head of the pin to fit into the hole in the bottom of the axle. (It has to seat into the hole in axle)
Lifting Cheap and smart. IMG_4076
This center pin allows you to compress and align the pack as shown and you can see the shim on top ready to be jacked up into the hole on the axle. The fat Part turns the angle of the rear end down so it comes more on line with the drive shaft. This shim is adjustable, we used all 3 degrees on this install. That's what we needed. Notice the little bit the pin sticks up to seat into hole in axle? This is what the spacers do. (lift the pin)
Lifting Cheap and smart. IMG_4081
OK in this picture, Shim is lined up Pin is in the hole on axle and all is ready to be put back together and tested for fit, Just snug it all and don't cut your center pin or U bolts yet! You want to snug, check, test drive and then cut or add more shim if needed, this will save your buying new parts AGAIN like we had to. Check, test drive then torque down.
Lifting Cheap and smart. IMG_4082
This is the pin being test fit for the hole in the axle saddle. Just to give you an idea where it has to go.
Lifting Cheap and smart. IMG_4078
We went out for a pretty good drive with the U bolts torqued down to 62 Lbs just to make sure we were good to go, Yippppeeeeeee! No vibration so back to the house, Torque the U bolts down to 90 lbs and Cut off all the bolts and re test!
Lifting Cheap and smart. IMG_4091
Yipppeeeee! Perfect install now! Smooth as silk, MCampanna will chime in soon, he did a 50 mile test drive home and called in a OK! Most of his trip was in the old vibration zone!

So, If there is enough interest in the Idiot Proof Warren Spring pack Mike will do mine up. Make the springs custom fit to look like the belong there, put the right arch on them for about 2.5 in lift, We will get all the specs and parts list and be ready to ship em out pretty much same day, They do CC orders and have all the parts on hand. Everything will be custom made for the Xterra these are top quality parts, no cheap stuff made fresh from stock right at Warren Spring.

And I bet if you have one of the other spring mistakes, you can fix it with these instructions and parts from Warren Spring. Post here what you might want, if it's a go we will let ya know.

Now, I been up over 32 hours no sleep, I could not rest until Mcampanna had a no vibration situation, even though I did not sell him the springs, I stuck it out until it was right.

No matter who says what if you lift, a shim is a good idea! You are changing the angle you need a shim!

MC
Back to top Go down

Lifting Cheap and smart.
Page 1 of 1