Xterra the Next Generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Xterra the Next Generation

TheNewX.org Backup Forum for 05+ Xterra owners

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics

Go down 
AuthorMessage
willgr1

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics Empty
PostSubject: Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics   Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics EmptyTue Apr 03, 2007 10:57 am

Alright, finally finished the install today.

Hella 500s, 4 in the Air Dam

I went this route because i did not want the lights sitting up too much higher then the roof line, i tend to frequent parking garages and such.

The advantage of installing in the air dam is you can mount the lights a little higher or lower, or a mix, lol.

ok, to the install!!

So the air dam was removed, the four hex bolt along the bottom edge were undone and the top is held in by clips so it pops right out.

The air dam is a little flimsy so i just a 24" piece of galvanized steel to mount behind it to bolt the lights into.
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0337

Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0338

Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0340

Next i marked the location for each light along the metal, they were spaced out with the exact same increment between them (can't remember at this time because i did this mid last week) i also marked the locations for the nut and bolt i used to hold the metal to the air dam (before the lights were mounted.
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0341

and the two end bolt were drilled and bolted in. the steel is very easy to drill through, a regular drill bit and cordless drill worked fine for me.
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0343

i justed these black plastic caps the flip down and click into place to hide the exposed bolt. they work quite well
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0344

and one from the back
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0345

next up the drilling and mounting for the light brackets. again i just used a really big drill bit to make a big enough hole for the bolts. i used a corded drill for this part because my cordless died and the other drill is much more powerful
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0347

Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0348

Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0349

and this is how it looks with the lights bolted into the mounts
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0356

next was the actual install into the roof

i chose to drill through the roof close to the bar on the roof (right over the driver's head), no particular reason, just looked like a good spot.
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0357

next was consealing the wires from the lights in some wire loom....yes i used red electical tape on a black loom...only because i did not have any black tape it was getting to be 9:30 at night (notice it's kinda dark out, i had to work by flashlight because my garage is in no shape to house a vehicle....besides the old mustang the resides there...)
anyways, i put some loom from each light them combined the lights that went to the same harness....note....in this image i had the two together, but i later moved these two so one was on each end and the other two were in the middle
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0361

Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0362

ok, now i drilled yet another hole in the roof and used a bolt here to mount the grounds from the lights. i had enough wires running through the vehicle at this point so i decided the roof was the best place to ground
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0363

and to cover all the exposed bolts and holes so there are no leaks....aquarium silicon!!!!....a little i had left over for a tank i made a few years back (my other expensive hobby)
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0366

so the i drilled semi-circles into the back of the air dam for the wire to run into, i also had to shave some plastic off the front lip on the basket cover because when the cover was closed it pushed the air dam up slightly
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0367

so the remaining wires were run into the roof and down the A-pillar to the underside of the dash. i did not include wiring information in the write up because i think the instructions included with the lights was pretty good, i will mention i ran the red wires from the battery +, blue from the battery -, and green to the driver side turn signal (green goes into the cabin and plugs into the toggles switch and yellow goes from the toggle switch to the harness. all harnesses were mounted in the engine bay against the firewall (wires were not long enough to reach into the grommet on the driver side from the battery or i would have put them under the dash...and i did not have the correct size wire laying around to extend them)

and here's the end result from last week, lights are now wired and work perfectly, i can take a pic of them on later tonight if anyone want to see them....oh, and i mounted the toggles by the mirror adjusters
Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0369

Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics DSC_0370

i think i was the first person to put the lights in the air dam, i think they look pretty good here (kinda resembles a jeep liberty a little which i do not like, but i think that's because i mounted the lights too close to eachother) if i were to redo this install i would mount the lights farther apart.

hope this helps anyone considering this install!!
Back to top Go down

Driving Lights in Air Dam - Install w/ Pics
Page 1 of 1